Monday, August 22, 2005

ISM Training, the Sequel

I just finished my second, two-day training with the International Solidarity Movement (ISM). The first time I attended this training was also my first time in the West Bank, just about two years ago, and I received any number of horrified emails from friends and acquaintances who thought the movement was somehow associated with suicide bombers, or the armed resistance. Hopefully, we've all come a long way since then. Just in case, though, the ISM is still completely committed to non-violence (both physical and verbal), and still led by a group of truly inspirational Palestinian activists. Even among the trainees, the only reservation raised regarding non-violence concerned the permissibility of fighting back if attacked by a group of murderous settlers (in case you're wondering, it's still not allowed). There's not much else to say about the training. Actually, there's a great deal that could be said, but it *was* my second time through, and I don't really feel like writing a blow-by-blow description. Suffice it to say it was very well done, extremely helpful (even twice), and included the most impressive group of people I've met since...well, since my first ISM training, I guess. For more details, you'll just have to make the trip yourself. Give it some thought; it doesn't have to be particularly risky work, and people younger, older, wealthier, poorer, more and less experienced than you have already taken the leap!

0 Comments:

<< Home